Every company should integrate C-TPAT as part of their corporate culture in working exclusively with a C-TPAT freight forwarder and customs broker, proactively preventing security issues within the supply chain. C-TPAT, which stands for “Customs-Trade Against Terrorism”, was launched in an effort to strike a balance between protecting the trade industry against terrorism and to prevent detrimental economic disruptions. Partnering with a C-TPAT certified member ensures that your brand and company are invested in national security and also presents an opportunity to improve your company’s supply chain operations.
According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, companies sign an agreement to work with CBP to protect the supply chain, identify security gaps, and implement specific security measures and best practices. These companies must also submit a plan outlining security procedures they will implement to uphold a secure supply chain. A C-TPAT freight forwarder and customs broker is generally designated as low-risk and as a result are subject to fewer examinations.
The following are benefits of partnering with a C-TPAT freight forwarder and customs broker:
– Less customs inspections – C-TPAT importers are four to six times less likely to be subject to security or compliance inspections
– Free and Secure Trade (FAST) border crossings – C-TPAT members can use specific lanes that receive special treatment during border crossings, and are often moved to the front of the line
- This reduces the consignee’s time-in-transit as well as the cost of the shipment
– Quick rebound time – C-TPAT freight forwarders and customs brokers are able to resume business faster than other entities in the event of a severe disruption, such as a terrorist attack
– Safe brand reputation – in partnering with a C-TPAT freight forwarder and customs broker, you can adopt a marketing posture showing your commitment to the nation’s security and delivering your goods to your customers through the safest and most reliable supply chain
– Improved operational efficiency – less examinations means shorter time-in-transit and less expensive transports – all have a positive affect on your company’s efficiency and bottom line
Companies that partner with a C-TPAT freight forwarder and customs broker find that they experience far less delays which allow them to deliver their goods to their customers on a reliable schedule at a predictable cost. Reliable transit times promote higher levels of organizational efficiency, allowing your company to explore its full potential. Implementing a safe supply chain helps the nation’s security, prevents unwanted economic disruptions, and increases your customer’s faith in your brand.
As a C-TPAT freight forwarder and customs broker, RS Express is committed to protecting international trade and the nation’s security. We conduct our business with a sense of urgency and integrity in an effort to provide the safest and most efficient logistics and customs clearance services for our customers.
For more information about C-TPAT, visit: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/cargo_security/ctpat/ctpat_program_information/what_is_ctpat/